Wednesday 16 February 2011

Brits Abroad

If you're familiar with the stereotype used in the title (see http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/b/brits_abroad.asp for a rough idea), then it is more than a little misleading what this post is really about. Actually I'm referring to the fact that my mother is currently visiting me out here in Osaka, Japan.
Why is that significant? Well, because my first post is supposed to reflect my initial impressions of this oriental country. However I've already been here getting on for 6 months, and I can't remember quite what I thought back then. Hence I'm taking advantage of this situation I'm in, and using her perspective having just arrived.


Roofed shopping streets such as Tenmabashi are all part
of the everyday, really - even those with such
spectacular designs on the front

The day after her plane landed, I can say for definite, was not a representative day in terms of weather for this region. Snow! And lots of it! Of course, I blamed her, she brought it with her from "merry old England". Having not anticipated this, neither of us were prepared, but in the relatively short time we would have together we weren't just going to stay inside. We must have looked freezing whilst we were stood waiting for the lights to change to get to the train station - in our non-waterproof clothes and lack of umberellas - as then 2 obaasans came up to us and sheltered us with their own.
"samuidesu,ne!" "*somethingsomethingsomething* ne!" - all the while, smiling. Of course, acts of such kindness aren't exclusive to Japan, but they are rare enough to be worth commenting on.

This then reminded my mum of a few other occurences she had already witnessed in her 12 or so hours of experience. For instance, when she had to buy her ticket for the shuttlebus to bring her to Hirakata, she needed a little help with the machine. In these kinds of situations at home, if you asked someone, you'd expect just some mumbled general instructions and then be left to figure the rest out for yourself. A woman actually ended up leaving her position behind a counter to talk my mum through the process. Really above and beyond in our opinions. Also, whilst she was waiting for said bus, she saw 2 drivers greet each other, exchanging deep bows. This is clearly a sign of mutual respect, which my mum also interpreted as taking pride in themselves/what they do, even if some people could describe that job as somewhat menial.
These latter examples suggest some theme in the form of service in Japan. Of course, it makes sense that these are the main kinds of social enounters both of us would have, with her having no knowledge of the Japanese language, and myself having close to zero conversational competency (even at this point).


Just a crossing... or is it?

Having identified this as a theme, it made it easier for me to pick up on some of the comments she was making as we explored, such as the neatness of work uniforms - particularly those incuding pure white gloves, like the taxi drivers (who also keep pristine cabs, with lace over the seats!) - and the constant 'musical' ring of "irrashaimase, douzo" from shop workers. Both of these are aspects I have grown used to and don't strike me at all anymore. I realised that there are countless minor differences that I now take for granted: the look of Japanese currency, and the habit of putting in a tray at the till instead of the cashier's hand; the particular beep at the huge crossings on the road allowing you to cross (even though a few cars are still allowed to turn that corner, despite the red lights); the white masks people wear for whatever minor/major ailment; how impossible it is to find a 'normal' cup of tea, and then being served green tea or mugicha rather than just water at a restaurant.

I guess it's all part of the settling process, especially having been here so long already. But, in saying that, there will never fail to be moments that contradict what I feel I'm begining to really understand, where the only response I can give, with a slight smirk, is "oh, Japan..."
All part of the job, right?

1 comment:

  1. My extension students often times have difficulties with the "first impression" post as they have been here for a while and aren't quite sure what to include. Your approach, using your mother's experiences, works very well here. Excellent. Please thank your mother for her good timing. And I am very happy to read about all the good experiences and nice people she is encountering. I look forward to your future posts.

    Please set the default language to English.

    ReplyDelete